* Rich Freeman
<CAGfcS_neh=gu+16mo7glrwvthoss2hbirvfvr_g50yjwrck...@mail.gmail.com> :
Wrote on Tue, 12 Sep 2023 05:18:51 -0400:
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 10:34 PM orbea <or...@riseup.net> wrote:
>> Regardless the disappointment is a valid concern when Gentoo is willing
>> to pull the rug up from under users feet under erroneous claims of the
>> project being dead.
> As a complete outsider, I think this conversation is focusing on the
> wrong issue.
>
> IMO the main reason it is getting treecleaned is the lack of a
> maintainer.  Everything about this entire back-and-forth screams
> lack-of-maintainer.

One of the planned consequences of this tree-cleaning is the removal
of genkernel, and the use of genkernel to build gentoo's initramfs.

Genkernel uses eudev for udev, and it works because eudev can be built
statically.

systemd-udev cannot be built as a static binary again presumably a
carefully thought out design decision behind its design and
philosophy.

eudev works perfectly well for the job genkernel does, udev is not a
drop-in replacement for udev in genkernel initramfs because it doesn't
support static compilation.  Removing eudev leads to a roadmap to
deprecate genkernel last-rite and remove it.

I know you are a dracut user, but I've been unable to use dracut with
1. cryptsetup swap + swsuspend + zfs on root.  Gentoo actively removes
support for individual configurations, and only supports is for
configurations that fedora has already engineered and controls because
that is where the devs seem to be coming from.