Hello,
 I'd like to start a discussion regarding setting HOME_MODE by default in
the /etc/login.defs file (owned by sys-apps/shadow package).

Upstream keeps HOME_MODE commented:
https://github.com/shadow-maint/shadow/blob/3e59e9613ec40c51c19c7bb5c28468e33a4529d5/etc/login.defs#L207

HOME_MODE affects only useradd and newuser commands: if HOME_MODE is set,
they will use the specified permission when creating a user home directory,
otherwise the default UMASK will be used.
Since the default umask is 022, keeping HOME_MODE unset will result in home
readable home directories created by useradd, which goes against security
best practices.

The proposal is to set HOME_MODE to 0700, or at least 0750: RedHat and RH
based distros, OpenSuse, ArchLinux all set it to 0700, Ubuntu has it at
0750. Debian and Gentoo are two exceptions, keeping the upstream value of
HOME_MODE (although login.defs is changed in other ways).

I previously made a PR on github where you can find more details (
https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/35231), but as pointed in the
comments this probably warrants some discussion beforehand.

I can understand the argument against the change, which is keeping in sync
with upstream and don't risk changing the historic default behaviour of
tools some users might rely upon.

I do believe though there's merit in providing safer and secure defaults,
so I would like HOME_MODE to have a safe default value for Gentoo and
Gentoo based distros.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel