Hi,

We should consider adding a .mailmap to gentoo.git.

There's a few reasons:
* We should accurately map pre-developer-status contributions.
  For example, it'd be nice if s...@cmpct.info was mapped correctly
  into s...@gentoo.org when doing git blame.

  We know s...@cmpct.info and s...@gentoo.org are the same person, it
  feels coherent to tell git that via the mechanism intended for it.

* It's useful for when people retire as well. Not that I plan on going
  anywhere any time soon (sorry!), but this is both a useful way for
  people to better "retain credit" *and* for e.g. 'git blame' to work
  better if they then come back as a contributor but not a developer, which
  happens on occasion, or if they occasionally contribute with a
  different email address (we have this for some devs who contribute
  under a "work context" too).

* It allows people to have git respecting changing their name for
  various reasons (e.g. we've had contributors start using their real name
  and vice-versa over the years).

I was considering this anyway but xgqt pinged me about it after
I mentioned it on a recent bug (https://bugs.gentoo.org/836936#c12) as well
which made me think there's perhaps some merit in it.

thanks,
sam