On Aug 18, 2005, at 2:46 AM, Marcel Romijn wrote:
As it is a x86 howto, here are the possible values for UCLIBC_CPU:
386, 486, ELAN, 586, 586MMX, 686, PENTIUMII,
PENTIUMIII,PENTIUM4, K6, K7,
CRUSOE, WINCHIPC6, WINCHIP2, CYRIXIII, NEHEMIAH.
For people with VIA boards, take CYRIXIII or NEHEMIAH.
Is this setting used for both the development and the embedded
machine?
I'm developing on a Pentium4, but I'm deploying to a VIA board
(CytrixIII).
The idea in this Howto is to use filesystems inside filesystems. What
I mean is this (pardon me if you already know this stuff):
I have a full Gentoo installation with all the optimizations for my
desktop processor installed.
Then, following the Howto, I create on my harddrive a directory called:
/opt/i586-gentoo-uclibc-linux
And inside that you basically install a SECOND gentoo installation,
but this time using uclibc and with optimizations for your target
platform. This is sort of a bridge to the eventual filesystem you'll
install on your embedded device. X, KDE, Gnome, or whatever will
still run on your regular installation, but when you build targets
for the embedded device, you'll change into this new uclib based
filesystem, which is optimized for the embedded environment. Thats
what the chroot command does. I
But this development installation, although optimized for your target
device has too much junk to install onto an embedded device (the
entire portage tree for example), so that is why you created the /
embedded_rootfs directory, and emerge binary packages into that
directory. Emerging just the binaries will ensure you don't get too
much extra garbage in the final filesystem you'll install to your
device.
After following this howto, your computer filestructure will look
like this:
/ <- Your desktop optimized installation. Could be Gentoo, SuSE,
RedHat, or anything else.
| - dev/
| - home/
| - .... (etc)
| - /opt/i586-gentoo-uclibc/ <- 'full' Gentoo installation optimized
for your embedded machine
|
| - embedded_rootfs <-'minimal'
install to put onto the embedded device.
Maybe putting this explanation in the How-to would be useful?
-Josh
--
Joshua ChaitinPollak
Software Engineer
Kiva Systems
--
[email protected] mailing list