Cliff Brake wrote:
On 6/15/06, Chuck Robey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I wanted to see if I could begin a rather long-term project to make use
of Gentoo, to create a project for ultimate installation on a Zaurus
SL-C3000 (and where I would specify a rather large amount of available
disk space). The trouble right now is, I don' know the status of Gentoo
with regards to supporting such a project (even just supplying another
project that is close to it in architecture, such as also using the
Xscale processor, or maybe allowing the QT environment and a frame
buffer).
If Gentoo has such a project, or any project that I might use as a jump
off point, could I please get and name of this project, and a pointer
either to a tarball, or maybe a documentation web page, and what mailing
list I could use. I'm trying for extra info.
My idea right now is to base a project upon the Pengutronix PTXdist
build environment. It's based directly upon make, and doesn't try to
build it's own build tool, which I like a lot. I don't want to solicit
help here, you folks have your own projects to work on (although I
wouldn't reject such help), so don't worry about my asking for a huge
amunt of help from you, but please, coul dyou give me some Gentoo
pointers to get me started off? The Gentoo pages themselves seem to be
very bare of pointers to any Embedded project, it seems.
Someone has gentoo running on a NSLU2 which has a Xscale ARM processor
-- might be a good place to start:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/GentooSlug/HomePage
I personally really like Openembedded because it has good support for
cross compiling apps and contains lots of packages. Running gentoo
and other distros on Xscale targets is possible, but seems hardly
practical due to the very long compile times.
I'm trying to understand wha has o happen, for me to be able to form up
a Gentoo base system. I guess it's going to need a list of everything I
find in /bin and /usr/bin )all the GNU packages, I guess). I have my
own build system for this, so don't assume I will be using emerge to bu
ild these, I won't (as long as maybe I could use emerge on my home
system to figure out preciely what parts are which).
Once I have /bin and /usr/bin (and I guess the /sbin partners), then I
could, I hope, arrange to build portage, I think. I'm pretty sure of
this, especially like I said, I can use a good emerge build as a work
script. After I have portage built, then I need to be able to handle
all of the /etc Gentoo stuff, and all of the /etc Portage stuff. Do I
have to inspect my Pentium system for what files exist, and just hope to
get it complete, or is there some package of software to serve as a package?
Understand, my goal is to be able to use the Pengutronix stuff to
install a Gentoo ssytem onto a C3000 (hard disk enabled) Zaurus. It's a
possible thing, if only I can figure my way how to assemble a Gentoo
system somehow.
Cliff
--
[email protected] mailing list