On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 09:16:37PM +0200, Carmelo Pintaudi wrote: > > Which chipset is used in the wifi adapter? > > The chipset is for sure the ZD1211b from ZyDas > > > > with special dedicate kernel 2.4. > > > > Why do you need a special kernel? > > I don't "need" a special kernel instead I have this kernel from the > vendor of the board because the board hosts special hw (like the > usb controller) and so features and drivers were added to the > kernel by the vendor.
I see. Do you require these features or could you also use a vanilla 2.6 kernel on the board? I believe you could benefit a lot from 2.6. Maybe you can use another bus for wifi? > Maybe the usb controller (and/or his driver) is the problem? That is certainly a possibility. > > Which driver are you using for the wifi adapter? > > The driver is from Zydas. The zd1211.o module. This driver is the > original driver from the manufacturer. Now from kernel 2.6.18 we > have a more reliable driver (community driven) named zd1211rw. > Based on zd1211 but available only for kernel 2.6. Tough problem. :( One vendor is supplying a proprietary driver for the USB host controller, another vendor is supplying a proprietary driver for the USB device. USB can be tricky enough when everyone is working together, and you have two different vendors working on independent drivers that need to cooperate properly. We can not help. I would urge the board vendor to get their act together and have their board-specific code rolled into the vanilla kernel, so that their customers (you!) actually have half a chance of making use of the board with a kernel version from this millenium. //Peter -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list
