On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 07:27 +0200, Pal Szasz wrote:
> Hi!
> 
> I'm porting linux to an embedded arm system. I'm using scratchbox to 
> build applications, since it makes "porting" much easier (I just have to 
> use the normal ./configure && make && make install mainly). However now 
> I have about 30-40 packages built... and it's getting to be a real mass.
> 
> I use gentoo on my desktop pc, and I like how portage works, so I try to 
> use portage instead. But to minimize problems I'm thinking about using 
> it inside scratchbox. Anybody has done that? Any docs about it?
> 
> And one more question: I was thinking that I build the apps using 
> portage, however to create actually the rootfs and maintaining the 
> packages I would use a binary package manager. 

not a problem really.

> Is there a script to make 
> binary packages from all of the installed packages? 

Yes. 
1) qpkg from app-portage/portage-utils
2) quickpkg sys-apps/portage


> And maybe a "light" 
> versions of portage which install binary packages only (which we could 
> deploy on the target)?

qmerge from portage-utils was intended to do just this. But note be
careful. Cuz when it upgrades a package it removes it from the
filesystem then installs the new one. So best to avoid qmerging whatever
owns /bin/sh or libc on the embedded fs at runtime. I stick with using
the -O option.



-- 
Ned Ludd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

-- 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list

Reply via email to