On Thursday, December 09, 2010 18:51:39 John L. Poole wrote:
> I've created a topic "Help with initramfs for Marvell OpenRD-Client LE"
> in the forum, http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6511131.html#6511131,
> outlining what I have done and the failure I have met with:
> 
>     tftpboot 0x8000000 initramfs
>     ...
>     ## Loading Ramdisk Image at 08000000 ...
>     Bad Magic Number

initramfs is not a ramdisk.  that is an initrd.

> My question that could be readily answered is:  when preparing the
> initramfs for a staged tree at /usr/src/initramfs, is the command
> 
>     cd /usr/src/initramfs/
>     find . -print0 | cpio --null -ov --format=newc | gzip -9 > [outputfile]

why dont you just build it into the kernel ?  set CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE to 
the path of your rootfs and let the kernel worry about making one.

otherwise, the only sane way is to use the scripts/gen_initramfs_lists.sh and 
usr/gen_init_cpio helper utils in the kernel.  mucking about yourself with 
find/cpio/gzip is plain crazy.
-mike

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part.

Reply via email to