On 06/26/14 18:17, Luis Ressel wrote:
My kernel has been XT-only for ages now, so no change required here. I
installed install-xattr and applied the portage patch. So far I've
reemerged python:2.7 - it worked fine and the duration was much more
bearable than with the python-based install wrapper (down from 8
minutes to 4 minutes, but still worse than the ~2 minutes in the good
ol' days with vanilla install). I'll test more ebuilds in the next days.

PS: I wonder if sys-apps/paxctl could be removed from the @system set
now, as it's obsolete and superseded by elfix.

Regards,
Luis Ressel

There are two advantages to paxctl over paxctl-ng from elfix: 1) It doesn't depend on elfutils to do its manipulation of elf phdr's. 2) It does try to convert or create a PT_PAX_FLAGS phdr by either creating (-C) or converting (-c) a PT_GNU_STACK phdr.

The advantage of paxctl-ng over paxctl is 1) it is designed to do both PT_PAX and/or XATTR_PAX markings, 2) it is consciously designed to not try to create/convert ELF phdr's.

If we ever drop the PT_PAX_FLAGS patch from binutils then paxctl would no longer be needed and paxctl-ng can be reduced to just doing XATTR_PAX markings.

One step at a time ;)

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
Chair of Information Technology