On 06/06/17 23:10, Stuart Longland wrote:
> Well, after much compiling with a slow QEMU VM… here's the first batch.
> 
> http://www.longlandclan.id.au/~stuartl/gentoo/mips/n64/
> 
> I have not yet tried these out, *at all*, this is just the raw output
> from Catalyst.  I've simply thrown them up here with GnuPG signatures,
> and will be trying them out sometime this weekend on my Yeeloong, which
> is presently running OpenBSD/loongson.

An update, the stages work.  I have my Yeeloong running n64 now, and it
is *more* responsive than the QEMU VM is.  n32 is still theoretically
going to be faster, but since not much software handles n32 well (and
x32 on AMD64 has the same problems).

I haven't hit any major issues, although I think sometimes I tickle the
CPU the wrong way and that causes a system hang: possibly a kernel
issue.  Presently, I am re-building my desktop environment, I have X
working (fbdev; siliconmotion driver segfaults) and so now it's a case
of building up everything else.

Also, I have packaged up a kernel and disk image using these stages that
may be useful for people to try out Gentoo/MIPS n64.

Might be handy for other devs to try out their packages on MIPS, just
create a new disk image and mount it as `hdb`, partition and format it,
unpack an official stage3, copy /lib/modules and /lib/firmware over,
then shut it down and use the new image in place of `hda`, the VM should
boot that new stage.
-- 
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature

Reply via email to