On 5/23/2019 18:42, Florian 'rephlex' Panzer wrote: > Hi there, > > In a long and tedious journey through LFS helper systems, cross-compiler > environments and building netbooting old green boxes off bootp, I > finally managed to put together a working up-to-date gentoo running on > the SGI Octane. And yes, all the packages are the latest and greatest. > > It has all the hardware working (even audio!), runs on kernel 4.12 and > even runs Xorg - IF you downgrade xorg to a 2012-ish version using raw > force. > > Here's the tarball: > > https://rephlex.de/blog/2019/05/10/gentoo-octane-a-modern-gnu-linux-system-for-the-sgi-octane-workstation/ > > Enjoy! > > Maybe somebody working on gentoo/MIPS could use this to build a proper > gentoo release (?), and maybe this is even useful for other MIPS machines. > Of course, the kernel sources are included - and boy, they contain some > assorted patches to support all the funny hardware! > > > ------ Slightly OT below this line ------ > > You read that right, I hat xorg running, but in an old version. The only > thing that keeps us from having a *current* version of xorg running on > the octane's impact card is is the fact that xorg changed its module API > around 2010-2012. > > If someone could help modifying the xf86-video-impact module init > functions to work under a current version of xorg, we could make impact > great again (the head of current work on this matter is here: > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/rephlex/xf86-video-impact) > > > Regards,
Thanks for this. I've actually been working on new stages and a new netboot, but very slowly, as I haven't had much time available. I'm hoping to put something out after the US Memorial Day holiday after I can build new kernels (4.18.20) with the current netboot image. The stages themselves are based off of a 20190323 portage snapshot (it takes about 2 months to fully build complete stages for six different targets). Userland is based on gcc-8.3.0, binutils-2.32, and glibc-2.29. I have a uclibc-ng target (MIPS-II, o32) as well. Porting work to kernel 4.19 has been started and is mostly complete, except the recent DMA API changes are still a blocker. There's been renewed upstream activity on fixing the SGI IP27 (Onyx/Origin) machines, from which IP30 is related, so that will probably further slow down new kernels until the dust settles. I am also working on building up a musl target (MIPS-III, o32), but this will take awhile as I have to start from scratch on that (currently piecing together a seed stage for catalyst). -- Joshua Kinard Gentoo/MIPS [email protected] rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between." --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic
