On Monday 22 August 2005 12:52, Drake Wyrm wrote:
> Alec Warner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Was talking with Brian about the build environment and how settings
> > were to be passed into the build environment.
> >
> > Essentially three scenarios were presented.
>
> Snip and summary:
>
> 1) Pass everything
>
> 2) Blacklist and strip bad stuff
>
> 3) Whitelist good stuff; strip everything else
>
> > To me 1) is unacceptable and 3) is the best option.  Feel free to
> > shoot these down as you see fit ;)
>
> Option 4: Strip everything.
>
> Nothing is passed from the original environment; everything passed in the
> environment is considered to be a "portage variable". This, I suppose,
> is an extreme case of the whitelist.

Well, I'll go against the flow. ;)

My preference would go 4, 3, 2 then 1. While Makefiles and configure scripts
may be "broken" upstream, how long is it before the breakage goes
unnoticed? More importantly, what's the chances of a dev finding the
breakage before users? Cleansing the environment to me is akin to using
sandbox. It offers protection against misbehaving packages...

--
Jason Stubbs