On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 04:16:06PM -0500, Kito wrote:
> My first question would be how to identify ebuilds that respect $
> {prefix}?
>
> A separate profile/keyword seems wrong.
Agreed.

> ICANINSTALLTO was the best idea presented, but that implies it would
> be a list of known working prefixes, which seems unrealistic.
DOMAIN is a saner name imo.  Aside from that, listing every potential
target (/usr/bin, $HOME/bin fex) is whacky and getting into the HOME
stuff that comes after.

I would suggest root, and offset as the initial targets.
root would be implicit if DOMAIN isn't defined, and references / as
the prefix.  offset is just as it sounds, a root offset, everything
from that tree installed at an offset.

> Maybe
> it would be better to have portage error check that globally at the
> load_config stage against a list of known stupid prefixes,
> stupidprefixes=["/usr","/","/bin"] etc. etc.
Bit beyond the ken of this discussion, but yah, agreed.
~harring