Mikey wrote:
The utility that fetches packages via emerge mangles the resulting file name, as well as wget (does emerge use wget?). When fetching the above url, emerge or wget saves the file as "package_ids.php?action=package&id=10105". This of course throws a wrench into my use of custom ebuilds :)

[snip]

What I would like to do is create a custom elcass that allows me to replace the "standard" ebuild package fetching routines. It would need to:

1) Check that the source tarball does not already exist.
2) If the correct source tarball does not already exist, fetch it using something like wget -O source.tar.gz
3) Rename source.tar.gz to ${DISTDIR}/${PN}-${PV}.tar.gz

My problem is that I cannot seem to locate where any package fetching routines are in any of the existing eclasses to use as a template. Another thing I am curious about, will custom eclasses in PORTDIR_OVERLAY work correctly (assuming they are written correctly).

Well, ebuilds (and therefore eclasses) can't override anything related to the fetch process (other than setting RESTRICT and/or SRC_URI). Your problem has to be fixed server side (assuming you want a proper solution), as portage *needs* the correct filename in SRC_URI for things like md5 verification. So even if $FETCHCOMMAND would save your file with the "right" name you would be in trouble.

Marius