On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 03:49:44AM +0200, Bastian Balthazar Bux wrote:
> Brian Harring ha scritto:
> > On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 12:01:12AM +0200, Bastian Balthazar Bux wrote:
> >
> >>Sorry, but here the results are not those expected:
> >
> > .51.22 vs .53_rc5... try with a vanilla .53_rc5 please
>
> here they are, also added a test with a dirty trick to precharge the
> portage dir and see what happen. Look like there is a small improvement.
> Now it's late.
>
> ==== time emerge --metadata; 1st run; 2.0.53_rc5 vanilla
> real    9m44.449s
> user    4m51.034s
> sys     0m24.754s
>
> ==== time emerge --metadata; 2nd run; 2.0.53_rc5 vanilla
> real    2m50.932s
> user    0m12.597s
> sys     0m3.836s
>
> ==== time emerge --metadata; 3rd run; 2.0.53_rc5 vanilla
> real    1m55.445s
> user    0m12.501s
> sys     0m3.416s
>
> ==== tar -c /usr/portage/* >/dev/null & time emerge --metadata
> ==== ; 4th run; 2.0.53_rc5 vanilla
> real 1m10.275s
> user 0m13.377s
> sys  0m4.740s

I'd wonder how this ^^^ compares to round 5 of the backport patch-
(attached).  It's a bit further then what's in 3x, although assuming
it behaves well I'll merge that into the rewrite also.

> ==== tar -c /usr/portage/* >/dev/null & time emerge --metadata
> ==== ; 4th run; 2.0.53_rc5 patched
> real 4m12.131s
> user 0m13.661s
> sys  0m10.329s

Difference is due to the fact the rewrite's metadata->local cache is
cloning code (think cp) rather then updating...

Forgot about that, wrote that code a while back you see :)

Made some somewhat tricky changes to the code; stable's best case is
2 stats, 2 reads, 2 opens, and 2 closes per ebuild.  Worst case is a
write thrown in, plus utime.

Best case with this patch is 2 stats, worst is still the same but
occurs only when eclasses change.

Alec and zach tested it fair bit, sounds of it it's performing fairly
well.  Would be curious about stats from those running truly crap
hardware, 20m metadata transfer for example.

Forewarning, if you're switching between the patch and .53_rc3, you'll
get some screwwy stats on the first run since it's a cache
invalidation, eg wipe the cache via an rm -rf. :)
~harring