On Monday 14 November 2005 23:17, Marius Mauch wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 22:38:28 +0900
>
> Jason Stubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The cache and elog plugin selection(s) come from user settings but
> > emaint (and repoman whenever that happens (and possibly even emerge
> > itself one day?)) needs to automatically detect what's available and
> > use it.
>
> The last part I consider questionable, while they shouldn't come from
> the user config directly I'd be very careful with a "use everything
> possible" policy. Not saying that it's flat wrong or that I have a
> better plan right now, but having this as a primary design goal seems
> wrong.

That's why there's the issubclass() check. That guarantees that modules found
in a certain path (of a certain "plugin type") provide a prespecified API.
Utilizing that API, it's then possible to inspect the plugin in any way
necessary. My goal at this level is just to provide an easy way to enumerate
what plugins are available and have some assurance that a certain API is
available.

If you're talking with regard to emaint specifically. The goal is to have
plugins detected at runtime and available as extra targets beyond the current
"world". That would allow things such as revdep-rebuild to be integrated
without the need for special handling on the emaint side.

--
Jason Stubbs