On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 05:38:02PM +0100, Johannes Fahrenkrug wrote:
> Paul Varner wrote:
>

> >Instead of hardcoding the nice value, use PORTAGE_NICENESS.  Here is how
> >it is done in revdep-rebuild
> >
> ># Obey PORTAGE_NICENESS
> >PORTAGE_NICENESS=$(portageq envvar PORTAGE_NICENESS)
> >[ ! -z "$PORTAGE_NICENESS" ] && renice $PORTAGE_NICENESS $$ > /dev/null
> >

> Good point. Is this patch better? Or should it rather be _exactly_ as it
> is in revdep-rebuild?

I'd suggest raiding from emerge-delta-webrsync for the portageq call;
it's a bit nasty, but it's a single call rather then multiple.

I'd also raid the tarsync call- this is something I was intending on
doing but have't yet.  It will cut out the untarring/rsyncing call to
2 read throughs of the tarball, and single run through the tree.

Fair bit faster, especially if the user's box doesn't have the ram to
buffer the tree/tarball in memory.  Tagging portage_niceness into it,
just create a var with the appropriate nice call- if no
PORTAGE_NICENESS, then the var is empty.

~harring