2006/3/14, Alec Warner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> tvali wrote:
> > Ok, i send a lot of them, but hopefully they're interesting :)
> >
> > I would like to build sql table-structure after getting the
> > information and send it into this list here so that you could hek out
> > if it has something missing or poorly optimized. PS. i dont like rules
> > of database normalizing, so my strutures usually have some "hacks" in
> > them -- i hope that noone complains about that; normalized structures
> > are just dull and optimized only for dumb-user-human-readability,
> > which is imho not the biggest virtue of software code.
>
> Uhhh you don't like normalizing your schemas?  Normalizing does two
> things, reduces redundant data, and increases database speed as tables
> are designed in a manner that minimalizes merging time.

I will consider what you sayd about db app design.

Anyway, i usually try to keep tables more dynamic and look at task at
hand, trying to make tables specially for it. When i tested
normalizing, i got about 60 tables where i had 5 without normalizing.
I didnt build both and test speed, but i have believed that indexing
tables makes them fast, too. In that specific case about 40 of those
tables were very similar and i did join them a bit and made some
multifunctinal fields, others were about connections between tables,
which i did put into one table. In that case, which i am talking
about, code, which used those tables, were just a lot simpler and
shorter, when tables were built in such way, also i didnt have to fear
that when i need to do mixed searches or other things like that, code
gets complex. I think that looking database structures without
considering normalizing rules gives much -- only this db app
optimization, which you mentioned, may really make normalized tables
better in some cases (and i still hope that there is a way out as i
couldnt understand, why one makes such a powerful language as SQL just
to deny most of it's beauty afterwards :D).

--
tvali
(e-mail: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"; msn: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]";

Ühe eesti internetifirma lehel kohtasin tsitaati:
If you don't do it excellently, dont do it at all. Because if it's not
excellent, it won't be profitable or fun, and if you're not in
business for fun or profit, what the hell are you doing here?
Robert Townsend