This has been on my list for a while, Brian Harring put EAPI into
portage 2.0.53; it's used for introducting new features into the tree.

A) Are we planning on using it at all?  I like the idea of it, but no
one has really said much about it besides Brian himself.  If so I'll
work up a list of things affected ( there is one in bzr somewhere )

>From my POV there is nothing wrong with bumping the EAPI of portage now,
the only time it ever affects users is when ebuilds set it and IIRC,
nothing in the tree uses it yet.  However there are features that people
want backported ( phase hooks, || () handing, etc.. ) that we need to
control.  For now people are just DEPENDing on the version of portage
that supports their behavior.

Basically, is anyone against EAPI, and why; otherwise I will start
writing the documentation for it (manpages) and add things for the
devrel guide and probably the unofficial developer handbook.

Also the concensus on releasing EAPI to the public was originally 6
months from it's inception, EAPI=0 went stable in 2.0.53, released
December 1st.  Does anyone see a need to release it at a different date?

-Antarus