On 3/29/06, Marius Mauch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:30:17 +0900
> Jason Stubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Can you summarise the reasoning again please?
>
> a) avoid massive breakage when certain new features are introduced
> (past examples being cascading profiles or new-style virtuals)
> b) similar to a) allow people to use new features without having to
> wait for a year or two

It's worth noting that the massive breakage (virtuals fex) can be
dealt with a bit saner by writing robust code.  The virtuals horkage
during cache transfer being the prime example of that...

> These docs will then tell the user about the following options
> a) use the secret override

This seems like a case where --force would be a helluva lot better
then some random nasty env var that is documented on a webpage (assume
the user has no browser due to bootstrapping the system without a web
connection).

> That should be an extreme exception though, there will be some rules
> regarding format bumps (like "only use formats where that haven been
> supported by stable portage for n months").

Knowing the rules up front would be useful to evaluate this patch's
usefulness...