Zac Medico schrieb:

Ned Ludd wrote:
How do you think we should handle it?
Should we install a post_sync in a postinst phase outside of portage's handling if and only if not post_sync already exists?
Should we change it to handled a postsync.d by default?
Should we do both? I'm open as heck but would like to start to finalize then document it's behavior. I feel it could be one of the next untapped really useful features of portage. glsa-checking, news handling, search db updating, and stuff etc..

Given the existing support for /etc/portage/bin/post_sync, the user has the
freedom to do anything they want.  If a program needs to make use of the
post_sync trigger, it's documentation can simply state that a certain command
needs the be run and the user can add that command to their post_sync script.
Is that not easy and flexible enough?

Well, it requires user intervention, pretty much the same argument as for any other foo.d change in any package (I don't have a personal preference here, though using bashrc for this definitely isn't a good idea).

Marius