Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 11 May 2006 14:23, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
>> Mike Frysinger wrote:
>>> which is totally wrong
>>>
>>> read the thread i started on gentoo-dev where i went over how USE=debug
>>> in the portage tree is complete trash atm
>> It may be wrong, but it's the only way that works usefully.
>
> so you'd rather stick with a known crappy/inconsistent methodology then move
> in the proper direction ?
>
> this debug-build FEATURES is the proper direction

I agree with the direction, when one includes the per-package env bit.

>> This is totally useless IMHO until you can set it on a per-package level,
>
> bashrc hacks can add insert FEATURES on a per package basis until proper
> portage support is in place, but unlike the previous bashrc suggestion, this
> is a stop gap, not the correct, solution
>
> i'm willing to forgo this (imo) minor aspect in favor of cutting the
> unreliable USE=debug from the tree

I'm not. But I will agree that this is the correct direction. Once both
parts of the puzzle are in place, then I will support cutting USE=debug
-- but not until one can reproduce its functionality sans hacks. No
point in replacing one hack with another.

Thanks,
Donnie