On Sat, 2006-22-07 at 04:43 +0900, Chris White wrote:

> This said, the following are recommendations:
>
> 1) Create aliases to the new functions, then at some
> yet-to-be-determined point, kill the aliases and bomb on the scripts
> (this suffers from procrastination).
>
> 2) Make an official release with the new function names and no aliases,
> as well as the soon to come docs.  I sort of like this method because
> those with official portage tools can adjust their scripts, and simply
> alter the depend atoms for >= (new API versions) and <= (old versions),
> effectively forcing/preventing upgrades.
>
> So please, throw your .02 $currencies in on this.
>
> Chris White

I could go either way with porthole.  Although I have had little time to
work on things lately, it would not be to hard to patch it if any names
were changed.

But isn't #1 what is normally done when things are deprecated in
libraries (I know portage wasn't initially a library, but has become
one)

Just post any changes here so anyone monitoring this list can update
their code accordingly.

What I've done in porthole in the past is to wrap changes in a "try:,
except:" pair to maintain functionality with either version.  Although I
could test the portage version and set the alias accordingly (probably
better overall as well).  That reminds me, I think it's time to remove a
few old ones.

--
Brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>