Brian Harring wrote:
> Just so we're clear... if gentoo-x86 wants to define their own base
> template all ebuilds in that repo use, that's fine.  That's a
> different beast from moving the format definition into the tree
> though.
>
> Kind of curious if either of you have thought through the implications
> of moving this functionality into the tree for the vdb and binpkgs
> also (short version, even with ebds env handling its not going to be
> pretty for backwards compatibility).

Since incompatible changes require an EAPI bump, backward compatibility is
automatically handled by EAPI.

>> Fine, but the EAPI can still be used to imply that some other functions may
>> or
>> may not be available.
>
> Not really.  Via moving parts of the format into gentoo-x86 it's
> implciitly setting it up such that whatever tree portage is working
> against now defines EAPI.
>
> Sounds whacky, but think it through; instead of trying to verify that
> 3 package managers are EAPI compliant, it's now dependant on the
> environment the tree defines, as such the tree can redefine the env
> without bumping the EAPI.
>
> Yes that's stupid to do, but moving the format into the tree enables
> it.  Theres a reason no other package format has their actual format
> definitions (env setup in our case) shoved into the repo, and thats
> one of them.

Incompatible changes for a given EAPI specification are simply unacceptable.
People really should know better than that.  If not, educate them.

>>> Actually, the reason they won't like it for will more likely be that it
>>> requires adding another eclass to the inherit line for ~15'000 ebuilds.
>> See, that statement shows me that you've missed my point that EAPI can be
>> used
>> to imply which functions are implicitly available.  It would be redundant to
>> inherit an eclass containing functions that are already implied by the EAPI.
>
> Would require 24,600 (last count) mods to ebuilds to specify an elib
> import moreso; automagically trying to import an elib out of a
> repository is pretty much guranteed to not behave as desired (overlays
> again come to mind).
>
> Eclasses are designed as crappy oop; what this change means for
> eclasses/elibs is that instead of reusing functionality, functionality
> gets copy/pasted across repositories- not a good thing.
>
> ~harring

We can design it to be overlay friendly.  An overlay can be viewed as a child
derivation of a parent repo.  The child inherits from the parent and can
override it.

Zac