Zac Medico wrote:

Daniel Barkalow wrote:
If the configuration has keywords "foo bar", and a package has "-foo
bar", mask the package ("masked by -bar keyword").

This is the sensible behavior if we ever make use of listing multiple
keywords in the configuration, which is currently implemented but not
used for anything.

Personally, I'd prefer not to support -foo or -* in the KEYWORDS of
an ebuild.  For one thing, seems like it's trying to accomplish
something similar to what package.mask is intended for.  Another
problem is that is uses -foo and -* in completely different ways
than they are used elsewhere in portage (for negation of values in
an incremental stack).

Zac

Didn't someone write a profile introspection tool to look at stuff like this? If it was as simple as emask profile package, and the tool took care of many of the details I think there would be less argument. As it is, setting -foo in the ebuild is trivial compared to the alternative (since profiles stack and you may need to edit 2 or 3 in some cases, means greater chance of screwing up).