On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:30:31 +0100
George Shapovalov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> I am quite confused by the following:
>
> aldar ~ # emerge -puD world --tree
> These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
> Calculating world dependencies... done!
> [nomerge      ] dev-ada/cbind-6.0
> [nomerge      ]  virtual/gnat-4.1
> [ebuild     UD]   dev-lang/gnat-gcc-4.1.1 [4.1.2]
>
> aldar ~ # emerge -puD cbind --tree
> These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> (or, for that matter:
> aldar gnat # e -puD virtual/gnat
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> The relevant dependency lines are here:
> dev-ada/cbind:   DEPEND="virtual/gnat"
>
> virtual/gnat-4.1:
> RDEPEND="=dev-lang/gnat-gcc-4.1*"
> DEPEND=""
>
> (and virtual/gnat-3.4:
> RDEPEND="|| ( =dev-lang/gnat-gcc-3.4*
>     =dev-lang/gnat-gpl-3.4* )"
> DEPEND=""
> although it looks like this one is not considered in this particular
> case)
>
> As you see emerge -uD world wants to downgrade gnat for some reason
> (which is wrong), while emerge -uD cbind (or any other Ada library
> that has similar dependencies) does not (which is right).

Is there maybe a different package in world that depends on
<=gnat-gcc-4.1.1? Anyway, you may want to look at --debug output to get
a clue why it wants to downgrade.

> Oh, and ~dev-lang/gnat-gcc-4.1 as RDEPEND in virtual/gnat does not
> work at all (just, as I understand, it should not)).

It should work, but it's not the same as the dep you stated above:
it would match gnat-gcc-4.1-r1, gnat-gcc-4.1-r2 and so on, but not
gnat-gcc-4.1.1, gnat-gcc-4.1.2, ...

Marius

--
Public Key at http://www.genone.de/info/gpg-key.pub

In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.