On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 10:00:29PM +0100, Beginner wrote:
> I recommend not to use wget and not to reconnect to the server for every
> single packet, but to hold the connection
> therefore spare traffic and download more fast.
If you are doing lots of downloads, use 'emerge -pvf FOO' and feed each
line of that output to whatever you want to do your fetching.

On that, I haven't kept up with the code in recent years, is there a way
that portage itself can hand off those entire lines to a fetching
application, instead of putting them in one by one? (Telling the app
about the expected size and checksums would be handy too).

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer