Zac Medico wrote:
> Daniel Barkalow wrote:
>> I think emerge should be able to do better with guessing what I mean by
>> "sudo". How about, if:
>
>> 1) "ask" or "pretend" is on, and
>> 2) exactly one package with a given short name is in world or is installed
>
>> it will print a message explaining the ambiguity, but will proceed with
>> the package from world. (1 means that the user has a chance to confirm the
>> choice before anything actually happens; 2 means portage has some guess as
>> to which is desired.)
>
> I like the general idea.  I'm not sure if the "ask" or "pretend"
> requirement is really necessary.  Why not just make the assumption
> that the user expects smart category expansion in any case?
>
> Zac

My only concern is about consistency.  IE the portage backend (if I
recall correctly) should return all matching nodes; emerge would then
take that list and find the first one that matches in the vdb.  However
it becomes a bit difficult sometimes because emerge may do this vdb
preference but say, portageq, may not.