Marius Mauch schrieb:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 04:54:59 +0200
> Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> 2007-10-21 22:49:10 Marius Mauch napisał(a):

>>> Probably not the one you meant, but you can find a related
>>> discussion on the forums:
>>> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-500209.html
>> It seems that you just don't like German translation, so you could set
>> LC_ALL=C in make.conf.
>
> I don't have an issue with localizations on my systems (I don't
> use them anyway), the problem is with other people reporting bugs or
> asking for support posting messages we can't understand, the
> questionable quality of translations (as we can't really control them)
> potentially leading to bogus bug reports and the general added
> complexity. It's just my opinion that system tools simply shouldn't be
> localized (best example: gcc error messages).
>
> Marius

I don't know if this idea already came up: If the user choses, that he
wants localized messages, the original english message is printed
additionally (e.g. in parens). So - if the normal user pastes
everything, the original message is always included.

I know, that this leads to doubled output - but in most cases the output
is already quite a lot - so it might not hurt.

Another way could be the use of error codes: Additionally to the
(localized) message, an error code is printed. This way the normal
message is only important for the newbe user. The disadvantage is, that
a list of these codes has to be maintained...

Examples for codes:
BLOCK(>app-foo/bar-2, sys-bar/foo)
MASKED(app-foo/bar-2.4)
WRONG_DIGEST(app-foo/bar-2.4)
etc.

Just two fix ideas - I did not read the thread thoroughly.

Regards,
Necoro