On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 21:29:02 -0700
Zac Medico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ryan Hill wrote:
> > Zac Medico wrote:
> >> implement greedy atoms for the world set. I've been pondering the
> >> idea of making world non-greedy for slots by default [1], since you
> >> can add slot atoms to the world file to pull in any specific
> >> slot(s) that you want.
> >
> > That would rock.  Portage always insisting on pulling in the highest
> > SLOT whether needed or not is one of my biggest pet-peeves.
>
> Well, you can already use SLOT atoms in your world file if you don't
> want the highest available. Packages that pull in >=foo are a
> different story though. I suppose we can add something like a
> - --upgrade=minimal option that prevents pulling in new slots if they
> aren't required.

Don't restrict it to SLOTs though. "minimal" implies that only upgrades
required to satisfy the depgraph are performed. The described
behavior should be another value, e.g. "no-slot-change".

Marius

--
Public Key at http://www.genone.de/info/gpg-key.pub

In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.