On Fri, 29 May 2009 01:36:20 +0200
René 'Necoro' Neumann <li...@necoro.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (The following is done with portage-2.2_rc33)
>
> I created some small test-packages for the following usecase:
>
> Package "spam" rdepends on "=eggs-2".
> Package "bacon" rdepends on "=eggs-1".
>
> So in theory there should be no way of installing them together (given
> that eggs is not slotted). This works if I try to install them in one go.
>
> !!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
> !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
>
> app-test/eggs:0
>
>   ('ebuild', '/', 'app-test/eggs-2', 'merge') pulled in by
>     =app-test/eggs-2 required by ('ebuild', '/', 'app-test/spam-1', 'merge')
>
>   ('ebuild', '/', 'app-test/eggs-1', 'merge') pulled in by
>     =app-test/eggs-1 required by ('ebuild', '/', 'app-test/bacon-1',
> 'merge')
>

> It looks different, if spam is installed and I try to install bacon
> additionally:
>
> # emerge -1av bacon

> Calculating dependencies                ... done!
> [ebuild     UD] app-test/eggs-1 [2] 0 kB [1]
> [ebuild  N    ] app-test/bacon-1  0 kB [1]

What happens if you use
emerge -1avD bacon

> This second behavior looks wrong to me, as it downgrades the RDEPEND of
> spam and thus spam becomes unusable.

Yeah, it does look wrong, but I don't think it is.  Ideally, I suppose
eggs-1 could depend on !=app-test/spam-1 and so on, but that requires
coordination among developers.  I suppose there is a bug in the ebuilds
because they should be set up so that if you have spam installed, you
can't install bacon and so on.
> Regards,
> René
>
> P.S.: In case it matters: You can find the repository containing the
> trivial ebuilds here: https://code.launchpad.net/~necoro/+junk/test_repo

Regards,
Ferris
- --
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmc...@gentoo.org>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)