Patrick Börjesson <psychoti...@lavabit.com> posted
20090530115251.gc11...@nexon.nexus, excerpted below, on  Sat, 30 May 2009
13:52:52 +0200:

> It's a weigh-off between having an easy time pruning your system and
> having emerge calculate a "correct" dependency graph for your entire
> system. As far as emerge is concerned, a leaf package installed with
> --oneshot isn't reachable through the dependency graph, thus its
> dependencies shouldn't be accounted for.

Exactly.  I've no argument with --complete-graph working how it works as
that's entirely logical.  I was simply answering the question, why would
someone use --oneshot for a leaf package?

Ideally there's only one or two sets of trial install packages at any one
time anyway, they were all installed at the same time either together or
after having run a --pretend with them together so there were no known
conflicts at that time, and they're taken care of one way or the other by
the time of the next emerge -uDN @world (which is seldom >5 days, here,
and more often I've reconciled within a couple days, unless one of the
leaf packages is being stubborn and won't build for some reason, because
a not fully reconciled, revdep-rebuilt and --depcleaned system /bothers/
me!) so it has no chance of messing them up because they're either part
of it or unmerged.

FWIW, FEATURES=buildpkg /does/ make life easier, too, because if there's
a "trialware" leaf package that won't build, I can simply unmerge the
dependencies temporarily, thus getting back to a fully reconciled system,
and come back to it when I have more time to trace the bug down, or when
there's movement on the bug if I'm depending on that.

So yes there's reason to sometimes not have a dependency branch "covered"
with an @world leaf, but there's no reason that should affect normal or
even complete @world deps calculations, and indeed, I'm happy that it
doesn't, as that would only throw in additional complications I don't
want or need.

But I'm wondering, is there possibly some method of doing the same
complete-graph thing for the @installed set?  I can't imagine ever using
it or for that matter @installed in any form here as it just doesn't fit
my admin style (as should be self-evident from the above), but since
that's effectively what we're talking about...