Duncan wrote:
> Patrick Börjesson <psychoti...@lavabit.com> posted
> 20090529201741.gb11...@nexon.nexus, excerpted below, on  Fri, 29 May 2009
> 22:17:41 +0200:
>
>> Why exactly would you want to use --oneshot for a "leaf package" that is
>> not depended on by any other package in the world set? If spam IS
>> depended on by any other package (recursively) in the world set, it will
>> be pulled in by --complete-graph, but that's not the case here if i
>> understand it correctly, thus it's a package that you explicitly wanted
>> installed, thus it belongs in the world set, and you should thus not use
>> --oneshot for it.
>
> I use -1 by default, here (via scriptlet), mainly so I don't have to
> worry about cluttering up my world file while emerging individual
> packages, just as I always use -NuD with my @system and @world runs.
>
> But for leaf packages, it serves as a sort of test install as well.
> Since I always do revdep-rebuild -p and emerge --depclean -p after every
> update (typically 2-3 times a week), then rebuild and clean as I need to,
> keeping the "trial merges" on the depclean list for a few days keeps me
> aware of them.  If I know it's something I want to keep, I run a
> different scriptlet without the -1, but that's not often once a system is
> up and running with the normal working set merged.  Meanwhile, I
> ultimately either emerge -C (or let depclean handle it) the "trialware",
> or emerge --noreplace, thus adding it to world.
>
> But experimental installs and their deps typically sit in the --depclean
> list for anything from a few minutes to a few days, until I decide
> whether I want to keep or remove them.
>
> If he was testing how the switches under discussion here worked and has a
> similar policy, I could easily see him using -1 by habit, even if he
> didn't explicitly reason that it was a test and therefore something he
> didn't want in @world.

I think this is an interesting use-case. It would be very simple to handle it by
introducing an additional file that the package manager would use to record the
packages that are installed on trial-basis. This would make it possible to
include these packages in dep-calculations, while still distinguishing them from
packages that are in @world. Of course you can also fake it by creating a local
virtual/trialware package (or possibly a @trialware group) of which you edit the
deps, but this would be less convenient. For my personal workflow using -1 for
trials is working well enough, atm.

Marijn

- --
If you cannot read my mind, then listen to what I say.

Marijn Schouten (hkBst), Gentoo Lisp project, Gentoo ML
<http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-{lisp,ml} on FreeNode