Alec Warner <anta...@gentoo.org> posted
b41005390905312058p314e6e1bnda50488d56ba0...@mail.gmail.com, excerpted
below, on  Sun, 31 May 2009 20:58:27 -0700:

> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Marijn Schouten (hkBst)
> <hk...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>> I think [trialware install] is an interesting use-case. It would be
>> very simple to handle it by introducing an additional file that the
>> package manager would use to record the packages that are installed on
>> trial-basis. This would make it possible to include these packages in
>> dep-calculations, while still distinguishing them from packages that
>> are in @world. Of course you can also fake it by creating a local
>> virtual/trialware package (or possibly a @trialware group) of which you
>> edit the deps, but this would be less convenient. For my personal
>> workflow using -1 for trials is working well enough, atm.
>
> Why is a custom set less convenient?

I read it as...

>> [manually] creating a local virtual/trialware package (or possibly
>> a @trialware group) of which you
>> edit the deps, but this would be less convenient.

The key word being the one I supplied, "manually".

IOW, individuals could manually create the functionality currently, but
this would be less convenient than if portage shipped with the trialware
group functionality, no matter how it was implemented.

IOW, manual creation isn't as convenient as having it a normal part of
portage would be.