Alec Warner wrote:
> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Marijn Schouten (hkBst)
> <hk...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I think this is an interesting use-case. It would be very simple to handle it
> by
> introducing an additional file that the package manager would use to record
> the
> packages that are installed on trial-basis. This would make it possible to
> include these packages in dep-calculations, while still distinguishing them
> from
> packages that are in @world. Of course you can also fake it by creating a
> local
> virtual/trialware package (or possibly a @trialware group) of which you edit
> the
> deps, but this would be less convenient. For my personal workflow using -1 for
> trials is working well enough, atm.
>
>> Why is a custom set less convenient?

Well, instead of "emerge --trialware package" you would first have to edit your
@trialware set and then "emerge @trialware". The same goes for when you want to
remove some trialware.
Perhaps some generalization of --trialware along the lines of
- --add-to-set=trialware could be fleshed out as a useful extension of portage.

Marijn

- --
If you cannot read my mind, then listen to what I say.

Marijn Schouten (hkBst), Gentoo Lisp project, Gentoo ML
<http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-{lisp,ml} on FreeNode