On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 4:05 AM, Marijn Schouten (hkBst)<hk...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Alec Warner wrote:
>> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Marijn Schouten (hkBst)
>> <hk...@gentoo.org> wrote:

>> I think this is an interesting use-case. It would be very simple to handle
>> it by
>> introducing an additional file that the package manager would use to record
>> the
>> packages that are installed on trial-basis. This would make it possible to
>> include these packages in dep-calculations, while still distinguishing them
>> from
>> packages that are in @world. Of course you can also fake it by creating a
>> local
>> virtual/trialware package (or possibly a @trialware group) of which you edit
>> the
>> deps, but this would be less convenient. For my personal workflow using -1
>> for
>> trials is working well enough, atm.
>>
>>> Why is a custom set less convenient?
>
> Well, instead of "emerge --trialware package" you would first have to edit
> your
> @trialware set and then "emerge @trialware". The same goes for when you want
> remove some trialware.
> Perhaps some generalization of --trialware along the lines of
> - --add-to-set=trialware could be fleshed out as a useful extension of
> portage.

I like sandwiches too, so perhaps we can have a
--sudo_make_me_a_sandwich option to emerge?

But seriously, this is linux.  If users want do deal with "a set of
packages that are like trialware" then they should use the sets
functionality that emerge already ships with.  emerge
--add-to-set=blah might be passable but IMSHO emerge has plenty of
options already and users can easy write their own wrappers for this
kind of thing.  Emerge doesn't need every tiny feature built into it.