Can anyone tell me if there's documentation that thoroughly outlines how
portage works?  This includes how it interacts with rsync and a mirror.
I've found user guides but I want to know about the architecture setup of
the software distribution system as well as what's going on in Portage under
the hood.  My end-goal is to understand both the security strengths and
weaknesses of Portage.

I figure the devs would know best.  I'll gladly read all the documentation -
assuming I can find it.  I've been Googling around quite a bit but it's
still a jigsaw puzzle to me.

Thanks,

-John