On 12/07/2014 03:04 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

>> The PMS people should be *very* interested in any changes to unpack
>> behavior like this. It supports behavior that will lead to failures for
>> older versions of portage and other package managers.
>
> Some remarks:
>
> - The upstream deb2targz program supports only data.tar.gz. Only the
>   Gentoo version has been patched up to support other file types.
>
> - There is only a single package in the tree with a dependency on
>   app-arch/deb2targz, and this only on AIX [1]. So on most users'
>   systems deb2targz will not be installed, and "ar x" will be used for
>   unpacking.
>
> - Paludis and Pkgcore unconditionally use "ar x" for unpacking.
>
> - PMS says [2]:
>
>      deb packages (*.deb). Ebuilds must ensure that the deb2targz
>      program is installed on those platforms where the GNU binutils
>      ar program is not available and the installed ar program is
>      incompatible with GNU archives. Otherwise, ebuilds must ensure
>      that GNU binutils is installed.
>
>   One could conclude that GNU binutils ar should be used on platforms
>   where it is available. deb2targz should be used only where ar is
>   incompatible with the GNU version.
>
> So in any case, this is a problem of Portage only. I'd suggest to
> change the logic in unpack() as follows:
>
>     if <ar is GNU>; then
>         ar x ...
>     elif <deb2targz installed>; then
>         deb2targz ...
>     else
>         ar x ...
>     fi
>
> And then the deb2targz case could be patched as proposed. After all,
> it is only a fallback that should be compatible with "ar x"
> extraction.
>
> Ulrich
>
> [1] http://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/genrdeps/dindex/app-arch/deb2targz
> [2] http://dev.gentoo.org/~ulm/pms/5/pms.html#x1-14100011.3.3.13

Okay, so we may want to examine this AIX case more closely, because
dropping support for AIX would solve our problem with the lack of xz
support in deb2targz.

Anyway, Brian's patch for xz support with debt2targz appears to be
compatible with other package managers as well as AIX, so that seems
like a good way to go.
--
Thanks,
Zac