On 12/08/2014 12:45 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

>> On 12/07/2014 07:06 PM, Christoph Junghans wrote:
>>> I know, I am late to the party, I just wanted to say that in
>>> unpacker.eclass I implemented a variant which uses neither deb2tags
>>> nor ar on prefix, but just bash's read and head.
>
> The code uses "head -c" which is a GNU extension:
>
>    $ man 1p head
>    HEAD(1P)            POSIX Programmer's Manual            HEAD(1P)
>    [...]
>    SYNOPSIS
>           head [−n number] [file...]
>    [...]
>
> For example, on OpenBSD and HPUX there is no -c option, or it is used
> differently. Also Busybox doesn't have it.
>
> Are we better off by requiring GNU head instead of GNU ar?

That's a good question. We might use dd instead of head, or port the
shell code to python.

>> Very nice. We should borrow that code and use it to eliminate the
>> need for deb2targz in portage.
>
> In PMS, this would have to go into EAPI 6, I suppose?

Yes, I suppose so, since PMS currently says deb2targz is required when
ar is not compatible with GNU ar. However, earlier you said that other
package managers currently use ar unconditionally. Also, I have to
wonder if any of the other package managers are used on AIX. So, maybe a
retroactive change to PMS would be acceptable?

Maybe it's not worth the trouble, and we should simply keep the
deb2targz usage for AIX.
--
Thanks,
Zac