On 03/11/2015 01:16 PM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-03-11 at 10:56 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:

>>> So now I got to binary pkgs and profiles, the profile is typically part of
>>> ebuild src tree/overlay
>>> and a system using only binary pkgs does not need ebuild sources. How does
>>> one manage profiles
>>> is this case?
>>> Just sync an empty /usr/portage tree(sans profile) or is the a better way?
>>
>> Recent portage has emerge --sync --sync-submodule=profile, which might be
>> useful. I would like to work
>> toward handling this case better, so your feedback is welcome.
>
> That would the same as pointing portage to your own empty tree(sans profile).
> I was hoping for
> something connected to your BINHOST so one can get all in one go and stored
> in the same directory
> tree.

Yeah, I'll have to think about that. Maybe we could include a profile
URI in the header of the Packages file.

>>>  Jocke
>>>
>>> PS.
>>>     emerge --depclean refuses to clean a system which is lagging behind,
>>> would it be possible for
>>>     --depclean to go ahead anyway somehow? --dynamic-deps=n comes to mind.
>>
>> You should probably put --dynamic-deps=n in EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, since this
>> option
>> typically causes these kinds of problems with --depclean. You don't need
>> --dynamic-deps if you use --
>> changed-deps when updating.
>
> If I do --dynamic-deps=n then man emerge suggest to also do fixpackages(I
> guess after every SYNC)
> which feels a bit heavy, is this still needed?

Not really, because package moves are applied automatically after each
emerge --sync. This happens unconditionally since FEATURES=fixpackages
was removed [1], unless you use the emerge --package-moves=n option, in
which case we assume that you will manage the consequences yourself.

> Why is --dynamic-deps=y default? This feels like lying about your true deps,
> I am probably missing
> something here, an example would be great:)

It's a legacy behavior, since portage has always behaved this way, and
ebuild developers have relied upon it (resulting in broken dependency
calculations without it).

> Will --depclean with --dynamic-deps=n always succeed? I realize that it could
> be dangerous but
> sometimes would like to have the option.

For the most part, yes. However, you may need to use --with-bdeps=y for
updates, in order to avoid dependency breakage for build-time-only
dependencies.

> BTW, this text is hard to parse:
> --binpkg-changed-deps [ y | n ]
>               Tells  emerge  to ignore binary packages for which the
> corresponding ebuild depenā€
>               dencies have changed since the packages were built.  In order
> to help avoid issues
>               with  resolving  inconsistent  dependencies,  this option is
> automatically enabled
>               unless the --usepkgonly option  is  enabled.  Behavior  with
> respect  to  changed
>               build-time dependencies is controlled by the --with-bdeps
> option.
>
> --binpkg-changed-deps=y -> Ignore bin pkgs with changed deps?

Yeah, well it's not always easy to translate what the code does into
human language.

[1]
https://github.com/gentoo/portage/commit/7ab4d5722a828167dd1bf946b26cfa80808f59fc
--