On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 20:20:12 +0200
Alexander Berntsen <berna...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 10/07/17 20:11, Jonas Stein wrote:
> > It would be so motivating to see that many user are glad about a
> > special package. One gets rarely feedback.
>
> Interesting idea. We could have some (separate) portage-y helper tool
> send a standardised email that could easily be filtered based on
> sender and/or topic. 'emerge foo --thank' just thanks people, 'emerge
> foo --thank="msg"' thanks people with a msg.
>
> It's gimmicky and could be abused. But then again perhaps it wouldn't
> be abused, and it would just be wholesome fun. Maybe someone would
> meet their future lover via the thank-parametre.
>
> What do you think?

We had a past GSOC project that ended up with a decent start to a stats
system.  I know I had hoped for (and suggested) a survey system for it.
A maintainer could put up a stabilization survey, or some other query
about a pkg/version.  The people interested could fill it out, the
maintainer could get feedback.  It would also give estimates of the
number of people using the pkg/version (dpends on the number of people
with stats enabled).

There was even a dev that recently tried to get it deployed (again).  I
volunteered to help.  But it never got the vm from it from infra.
Infra is not set up to allow root access to a system for only certain
systems/devs.  So in order to maintain a system, you primarily have to
be in the infra team.  So, as a result, progress stalls, dies out.

--
Brian Dolbec <dolsen>