On 01/10/2018 01:15 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 01/10/2018 03:55 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
>>>
>>> This is going to break a lot of packages whose build systems create e.g.
>>> /var/lib/foo and do nothing with it immediately. The ebuild should be
>>> calling keepdir on those paths, but how would anyone know that?
>>
>> If we consider that portage already removes these directories if they
>> are still empty when the package is re-merged or upgraded, then maybe
>> the risk is low enough?
>>

> Does it? (Are we talking about the same thing?)
>
> For example, the nagios-core build system creates a bunch of empty
> directories under /var/nagios:
>
>   $ find /var/nagios
>   /var/nagios
>   /var/nagios/rw
>   /var/nagios/home
>   /var/nagios/spool
>   /var/nagios/spool/checkresults
>   /var/nagios/archives
>
> Re-emerging the same version of nagios-core doesn't kill them off.

Oh, you're right, I was mistaken. It's possible that the behavior
changed at some point, but currently it protects directories installed
by the new instance, as shown here:

--- replaced dir /var/nagios/spool/checkresults
--- replaced dir /var/nagios/spool
--- replaced dir /var/nagios/rw
--- replaced dir /var/nagios/archives
--- replaced dir /var/nagios