On 01/24/2018 12:56 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> Since the initial review of my patch lost focus, and lacked sufficient
> context, here's the plan that I'd like to follow in order to initially
> integrate gemato with portage and give our users secure checkouts by default.
>
> 1. Add postsync hook to Portage git. Eventually, it will be replaced by
> direct Portage support.
>
> 2. Add IUSE=+rsync-verify to portage-9999 that controls installing the hook.
> This will give users the ability to easily disable it without jumping through
> cross package hoops.
>
> 3. Submit a news item for review that will explain how to initially verify
> the keys on existing installations.
>
> The news item would be published when the hook hits a release.
>
> What do you think? If you agree, then I'll start writing the news item.

For the sake of maintaining stable interfaces for users, I feel like we
should add the repos.conf sync-rsync-verify setting for this is
up-front. That way, we won't have to train people to use a new interface
later. Also, eventually we have to do this anyway if we want portage to
recognize the nature of the failure and react by quarantining the
repository.
--
Thanks,
Zac