On 01/29/2018 07:29 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Zac Medico posted on Sun, 28 Jan 2018 22:21:48 -0800 as excerpted:

>>> This is in the HINT section, which is displayed if both --changed-deps
>>> and --dynamic-deps are disabled in PATCH v2.
>>
>> Actually, the whole report should be suppressed if either --changed-deps
>> or --dynamic-deps is enabled, so I'll send PATCH v4 for that.
>
> This is shaping up quite nicely and by (1) dramatically shortening the
> original "wall of text" report and (2) aborting the report if no affected
> packages are in the graph, it's vastly improved from the original.
>
> I definitely expect it to be rather helpful here, since I have both
> --dynamic-deps and --changed-deps off by default, and seeing that list
> could be /quite/ helpful.  Looking forward to it! =:^)

Great!

> My remaining concern, and I'm not sure there's a solution, is that for
> routine 30-day-plus updaters, the warning could quickly become "routine
> noise", due to valid no-r-bump exceptions such as the llvm example mgorny
> provided, which very well /could/ happen often enough to trigger the
> warning nearly every time for 30-day-plus updaters.  Then when it really
> counts and could help, people will likely be ignoring it.

Until we invent something better, people will have to set
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--changed-deps-report=n" if it bothers them too
much. This is acceptable to me because my main goal is simply to make
people aware of --changed-deps when they need it most. If the set
--changed-deps-report=n then it's their responsibility to know when to
use --changed-deps.

> Maybe someone else has an idea, but as I said it's already vastly
> improved from the original, and I believe usable as-is, now, while I'd
> have found the original quite irritating by about the third time I saw
> it, even if also helpful.

Great, thanks for the feedback!
--
Thanks,