On 03/19/2018 09:49 PM, Manuel Rüger wrote:
> Hi Zac,
>
> alternatively could --exclude be extended to support sets?
> So users could --exclude @world or @profile.

Your idea doesn't really fit the current meaning of --exclude, since
--exclude excludes packages from being merged, but still adds installed
instances to the dependency graph in order to ensure that their
dependencies remain satisfied.

I'd question the usefulness of a finer-grained approach that you're
suggesting. I don't foresee people wanting to fiddle around with which
package sets they want to ignore, and I wouldn't encourage them to do so.

The intention of the --ignore-world option is to say, "I only care about
the packages that I'm specifying in the emerge arguments, do anything
necessary to install them." In this sort of situation, I think a person
generally wants to ignore everything except the given packages and their
dependencies, because they don't want to do a bunch of fiddling to
figure out which sets they'd need to exclude in order to avoid
conflicts. If they want to fiddle with something, they are free to
adjust their package set configuration, so why wouldn't they?

Anyway, I'm not necessarily opposed to adding a finer grained
--ignore-set option. However, it would be more work, it would be more
complex, and I wouldn't advise anyone to use it.

If people want to automate something in a disposable system, or they're
in a position to use --ask and check the result for sanity, then I think
--ignore-world is a good solution.

If people want something that's safe to use on a production system, then
I'll advise them to manually adjust their package set configuration.
--
Thanks,
Zac