On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 07:37:16 +0000
Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernl...@infinera.com> wrote:

> > > Tweaking ebuild to expand STRIP_MASK for ld.so might help.
> >
> > OK, can I use STRIP_MASK outside ebuilds, like in /etc/portage/make.conf or
> > in my profile? Something like STRIP_MASK="/lib64/ld-* /lib/ld-*"

I believe you can't. You would have to resort to /etc/portage/bashrc
hacks to override ebuilds' value. Requesting new feature from dev-portage@
sounds reasonable.

For example, add STRIP_MASK_USER to be controlled by user.

STRIP_MASK is normally used for cases when software breaks when
stripped (examples: not-quite-ELF files, not-yet-linked .o files). Not
something for convenience or niche purposes.

STRIP_MASK_USER might be a good way to fine-grain desired policy
of stripping package on top of existing FEATURES=nostrip knob.

--

  Sergei