On Fri, 2019-12-13 at 08:47 -0500, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> > > I think this should be reverted. It causes too much noise, and
> > > "solves" a problem only very rarely.
> >
> > Now, how many lines of output does this typically produce, compared
> > to the total size of a typical build log? Especially with mgorny's
> > subsequent modification, which suppresses the output unless the patch
> > doesn't apply cleanly.
>
> In most cases, I would be inclined to simply ignore the patch output
> since there's really no need for me to take any action on it.
>
> On the other hand, it makes it more difficult to quickly identify the
> list of patches being applied if there is junk output in the middle of
> the list.
>
> > It was also suggested that we add -F0 in EAPI 8, but that would break
> > the build in those cases that are producing extra output now. I don't
> > think that would be preferable.
>
> I am opposed to including such a change in EAPI 8. It would make
> ebuild maintenance more difficult for everyone, and I don't think the
> potential benefit is worth it.

...and why do we consider it correct to apply patches when the context
doesn't match?  If our only goal is to make things 'easier' for
'everyone', then we could just pass -F9999 and ignore all the context.

Though I don't understand why include any context in the first place if
you don't care about it matching.  Sounds like a waste of space to me!

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny