On 3/14/20 7:20 AM, Samuel Bernardo wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> As a suggestion, I would propose for each overlay to override the eclass
> functions for those necessary to EAPI 6 within their ebuilds.

Yes, either do that or upgrade EAPI in the ebuilds.

> For instance, go-overlay could use old eclasses that support EAPI 6
> overriding the current ones. For some reason they updated their eclasses
> to  EAPI 7 before updating the ebuilds.

Apparently the go-overlay sabotaged itself with this commit:

https://github.com/Dr-Terrible/go-overlay/commit/2b5bfa01bf8777f28f57eb5b7da2ccde4ace744b#diff-2e747d04b1138fffb99dbb6a5fdd6c1b

> This brings me to the main issue that is the portage cache and possible
> conficts between those eclass defined in the overlay and those from
> gentoo main stream. Maybe a name convention would be useful here for
> future upgrades as a code styling guide for gentoo developers.

There's no conflict. Overlays are free to override eclasses as needed.

> What do you think about this kind of issues?

It's not a good idea for overlays to make eclass changes that break
their own ebuilds.

> Best,
>
> Samuel
>
> On 12/03/2020 10.42, Samuel Bernardo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any way to allow EAPI 6 for some overlays with current portage
>> stable version (2.3.89-r1)?

The portage version is irrelevant. All versions of portage are backward
compatible with all old EAPIs.

--
Thanks,
Zac