On 8/14/20 8:42 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

>>> When pkgs are masked in the profile, it affects all variants of that
>>> pkgs, even the ones that are in other overlays.
>>> Example:
>>> !!! The following installed packages are masked:
>>> - sys-auth/sssd-9999::transmode (masked by: package.mask)
>>> /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
>>> # Matt Turner <matts...@gentoo.org> (2020-08-13)
>>> # Masked for testing
>>
>>> My sssd-9999 is now masked.
>>
>>> Could the profile syntax be extended to include syntax allowed in
>>> /etc/portage ? Then one could use the ::gentoo syntax (or so I hope)
>>
>> The :: syntax is Portage specific and doesn't exist in EAPI 7.
>> So there's no chance to get it into the profile dir anytime soon
>> (because that would imply :: to be added to a future EAPI and the
>> top-level profile dir to be bumped to that EAPI).
>
> Is profile part of EAPI? masks are not defined/used in ebuilds directly.
>

>> You could override the mask in your overlay's profile/package.mask
>> instead, using an entry with the "-" operator.
>
> Yes, I know I can add that in profile/package.mask but I am looking for the
> bigger
> picture here. This has to stop somehow, there need to be something that limits
> the mask scope to the repo/overlay it is defined.

The scope is already limited, but this overlay inherits the mask because
it has the gentoo repo as its master (either implicitly or via a masters
setting in metadata/layout.conf).

I suppose we could add an option to prevent this inheritance.

> I think a good start would be to consider /etc/portage the top profile and
> other
> subprofiles should be able to use the same features as /etc/portage.
>
> Portage could start supporting that now, but there would be a while until
> one can use them in Gentoo profile.

We've got this bug open for the ::repo atom support:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/651208
--
Thanks,
Zac