> On 23-06-2021 08:47:58 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
>> It's somewhat hidden, but it's there:
>> https://projects.gentoo.org/pms/8/pms.html#x1-950009.1.10
>>
>> 9.1.10 pkg_preinst
>> ... immediately before merging the package to the live filesystem. ...
>>
>> 9.1.11 pkg_postinst
>> ... immediately after merging the package to the live filesystem. ...

> Aha, so does this mean pkg_prerm and pkg_postrm are run with replacing
> package in place, e.g. if they refer to scripts installed by the
> replaced package they may no longer exist or be the same?

PMS has similar wording for pkg_prerm and pkg_postrm, so (at least
according to the spec) the old package will still be present in
pkg_prerm and will be gone in pkg_postrm.

I don't think that the ebuild can rely on any particular status of the
new package in pkg_*rm (of the old package), or the status of the old
package in pkg_*inst (of the new package).

Ulrich